Cortana is Microsoft’s digital agent designed to give users a more personalized experience. The Cortana just like other digital assistance such as Apple Siri and Amazon Alexa learns over time to be more useful to you.
It can provide you with basic answers and perform some tasks on your Microsoft O.S. This feature was a new addition by Microsoft to the Windows 10 O.S. It can be activated by voice or by clicking the icon on your taskbar.
Things you can do with the Cortana
Cortana provides a lot of valuable services you will definitely enjoy. Here are the basic features:
- Set reminders: The Cortana is designed with a powerful built-in reminder feature that can be set to remind you things at a specific time, location and about a specific person. For example, you can set it to “remind you to buy toothbrush when you get to the mall” it uses GPS to know when you get to the location.
- Search for files on your device: it supports natural language search for files on your system. For example, you can ask it to “find pictures from 2016”
- Identify a song playing nearby: this is one of the most amazing features of Cortana. It can listen to a song playing nearby and identify it for you. Say your friend is playing a song you like, you can ask it “what is this song”. It’ll use your microphone to listen and identify the song.
Note: this feature works better with recorded songs rather than live music.
- Perform calculations and conversions: you can use it to perform quick calculations like “456 * 568” or to make unit conversions like “100 USD to UK pounds”.
- Fact findings: It uses Bing via the Internet connection to find direct answers to your questions. For example, you can ask it “who is the President of USA”, “what is the longest bridge in the USA” and it’ll give you an immediate answer.
Other Amazing Features
- You can track packages and flights with Cortana
- Check the weather
- Get directions
- Send emails
- Create calendar events
This is not a conclusive list of things you can do with Cortana, they are so much more.
How to enable Cortana’s Voice Activation
To get the attention of Cortana from anywhere around the room, you must enable the switch from settings. Here’s how you can do that:
- Locate and click on the search box on your Windows 10 from the taskbar.
- Click on the settings icon on the left panel of the window
- Enable the Hey Cortana switch and you are good to go. Now to perform a task start by saying, “Hey Cortana” then followed by your command.
You can get this amazing feature on every device regardless of the platform. Cortana makes life very easy, you can set a reminder on your computer and it’ll pop up on your phone whether it’s iPhone or Android or Windows. Cortana is just amazing.